Sunday, November 15, 2009

Backroads GALORE!!!



















Our day in Normandy has been my favorite thus far! I awoke before Dan to browse the gardens and walk down the country roads surrounding Manoir Juganville. The setting had me virtually in tears...the sun rising over the distant misty fields, the sound of cows braying, a day set out before me to explore it all! I forced Dan out of bed so that we could get started! Coffee, homemade jams, and croissants were served beside the fireplace with jazz playing continuously in the background. After settling on a destination Dan and I set off to Le Nez de Jobourg! Now let me brief you all on how different Dan and I are (as far as traveling goes)...for those who don't already know of course. Now while Dan seems to prefer to get from point "A" to point "B" in a rather organized manner...I, on the other hand, tend to prefer to meander carelessly. So aside from a daily map tossing swearing "I could just bludgeon you!" temper tantrum on my part, we get along just fine.
The only route to our objective took us along the narrowest of country passages, which, of course, brought me great pleasure. I was delighted to see the fat little ponies and work horses with Hercules-like proportions grazing happily in luscious apple orchards, colorful doors and shutters lining the cobblestone streets in the smallest of towns, and finally...the coast! The vistas were more spectacular than one could ever imagine! The vast ocean crashing powerfully against the jagged cliffs and the moisture in the air that made every surface alive with greenery. There are no fences here...only massive hedges or ancient stone walls overgrown with moss! Dan and I argued as to whether or not we should take the 2.5 km walk down to the bay. I said "YES!!!!", but Dan worried as to whether we would be able to make it back up! If you don't push yourself, how will you ever know what you are truly capable of???? Who do you think won that arguement??? And guess who (at the end of it all) thought it was "alright"...(my enthusiasm makes up for his lack thereof!)

Just look at the photos!!!!

1 comment: